Are you having trouble getting started or making progress on the Architect Exam?!?? Is the self-guided nature of the ARE not working for you?
Join our virtual study group. The ARE Boot Camp offers a syllabus, a schedule with deadlines, people to study with, and accountability. To help you study for the Architect Exam, the program is organized similarly to a design studio.
We recently started accepting applications for sessions that are beginning in March and April 2018 for both ARE 4.0 and 5.0. It's time to get started with making progress on the Architect Registration Exam.
On today’s episode of the Young Architect Podcast, Contributor and Co-Founder of Let’s Fix Construction as well as President of the Constructions Specifications Institute CSI Vermont, Eric Lussier, joins us to talk about his career and involvement in the world of architecture and construction. Plus, you’ll learn why joining CSI is such a great idea, how networking is so vital to continue your education, and what we should all do to be more open to sharing our knowledge with everyone.
Eric Lussier of Let’s Fix Construction
Eric Lussier has been part of CSI for many years now, but it wasn’t until he spoke to Cherise Lakeside that he realized that the construction industry needed more available sources of information. That’s when the two of them came up with the idea for the website, Let’s Fix Construction, which is a solution oriented blog for everyone within the construction industry.
Before becoming involved with the construction industry, Eric had experience working in a variety of different jobs until he was hired at the sport flooring company, Precision Athletic Surfaces in Burlington, Vermont. Thanks to his position and involvement, he’s really helping people to begin to have more conversations about the future of the industry.
CSI has so many awesome benefits including having an equal seat and voice in the organization no matter what your job title is. You could work in construction, architecture, design, or management and have the same amount of participation. The organization also provides the ability to become certified in so many different areas including Construction Documents Technology (CDT).
So what future plans are in store for Eric and Let’s Fix Construction? On Wednesday, November 8, he will be launching the Let’s Fixt Construction Podcast!
What You’ll Hear on This Episode
- How Eric got involved in the Construction Specifications Institute (CSI).
- What CSI is all about and why Eric is so excited about it.
- What to do to get the most out of being a CSI member and why it’s such a great organization.
- How to stay on top of all of the fast changes in construction and architecture.
- What type of posts Let’s Fix Construction shares and who some of their bloggers are.
- How we can learn from each other by talking to other people from different industries for 15 minutes at a time.
- Future plans for Let’s Fix Construction including a podcast launch on November 8th
Top 3 Takeaways from This Episode
1. We can all benefit from sharing information; especially with how the industry is changing and advancing so rapidly these days. We can share what we know by writing blogs, being a mentor, or networking and sharing ideas. The sky is really the limit!
2. Don’t shy away from organizations that don’t include your profession in the actual title. There are many wonderful organizations out there like CSI that have a lot to offer everyone within the industry.
3. The construction industry is growing so fast. Not only should we be focused on solving the problems of today, but also the problems of tomorrow.
Eric Lussier’s Advice for Aspiring Architects
“‘Don’t allow the gray hairs to leave before picking their brain,’ meaning that we should all try to grasp as much information as we can from people in our field while they’re still here. Going and having a cup of coffee with an expert or mentor in your field will teach you more about architecture than a whole afternoon of studying. Don’t allow those people to leave with all their knowledge and take advantage of networking with them.”
“CSI promotes community through and through. It doesn’t matter if you’re an Architect, Product Rep, or Building Owner. Everyone is given an equal voice and viewed in the same way.” – Eric Lussier on the growing community within CSI.
“Let’s Fix Construction is not about Cherise and I; it’s about the industry. It’s about taking good pieces of knowledge and information and sharing it with the world.” – Eric Lussier on the purpose of Let’s Fix Construction.
“We can continue talking about the issues of the past or we can talk about what can be done to help the construction industry in the future. So, the general idea is that you identify a problem and we recommend solutions.” – Eric Lussier on how Let’s Fix Construction is trying to help improve the industry.
“We look at the way our world is changing and it’s happening so monumentally fast. Nowadays, every year feels like a 10-year step and I think that’s only going to accelerate faster and faster. We need to start looking at 2018 yesterday, 2019 this afternoon, and 2020 by tomorrow morning because the needs of architects, general contractors, and skilled labor within the industry need to be met and we need to start looking at our future immediately.” – Eric Lussier on how quickly the field of construction and architecture is changing and why it’s important that we’re always considering the next advancement.
“Let’s all help each other out. It’s so easy to share knowledge and information these days; why aren’t we doing more of it?” – Eric Lussier on how we can all benefit from sharing information with each other.
“It’s amazing what anyone can complete within an hour when they really buckle down and work hard at something. It really doesn’t take that much time to focus on a task and make a difference by completing it.” – Eric Lussier on the power of productivity.
Resources Mentioned in the Show
- Connect with Eric Lussier via:
- Visit the Let’s Fix Construction Official Website
- Learn more about the other Let’s Fix Construction Co-Founder, Cherise Lakeside
- Check out Constructions Specifications Institute CSI Vermont
- Find a CSI in your area
- Learn how to get certifications like the CSI and Construction Documents Technology (CDT)
- Attend a future Construct Convention
- Visit the official Precision Athletic Surfaces website
- Read The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg
- Check out Charles Duhigg’s latest book, Smarter Faster Better