Perla remembers that she started drawing at a young age. She recalls that she used to lock herself in her room and just draw. But she also remembers being very competitive from a young age. She and her brother would compete to see who had the best drawing – although, of course, her mother wouldn’t choose between them.
In today’s episode, Perla discusses her education and what brought her from Miami to Boston Architectural College. She also discusses the work that she was doing while she was in school and after graduating, bringing her up to her present-day company.
Perla explains what it was like for her to take her exams and where she was doing well and having trouble. She discusses the boot camp – how she found herself there and what kinds of experiences she had with the group and its members.
In today’s episode, you’ll also hear about Perla’s work as a yoga instructor. Learn what she thinks about yoga and meditation, what it was like to go through yoga teacher training, and why she thinks it’s important.
What You’ll Hear on This Episode:
- What inspired Perla to pursue a career in architecture
- Where Perla went to architecture school
- Where Perla worked in Boston
- How Perla’s architecture exams went
- How Perla got to the boot camp
- Perla’s experience with the boot camp and its members
- What’s changed since Perla finished her exams
- Perla’s work as a yoga instructor
- Perla’s yoga training experience
- The inner work involved in yoga teacher training
- The yoga sessions before the Young Architect Conference events
- The benefits of meditation
- Perla’s advice for aspiring architects
- What Perla knows now that she didn’t know then
- The book that changed everything for Perla
- Perla’s favorite resource, product, or gadget
- Perla’s best timesaving trick
- How listeners can find Perla
Top Three Takeaways from This Episode:
- We need each other to get through the tough times and celebrate the good times.
- Have awareness of your feelings and triggers and why you have them.
- Find what motivates you.
Perla’s Advice for Aspiring Architects:
“I feel like I will tell an aspiring architect: find the right way of living. Find the things that motivate you. There are so many avenues of things that you can do in architecture. If you’re a people person you can do a little bit of project management. If you’re not a people person, you can focus on design. If you like graphics, you can do graphic design for the beginning of the projects. But I will say, try to figure out the right way for you, and it doesn’t have to look like anyone else’s right way.”
“Google Image.” – What Perla knows now that she didn’t know then.
“I love audiobooks, and I just listened to Untamed.” –The book that changed everything for Perla
“I like writing things down, so I think a notebook and a pen.” –Perla on her favorite resource, product, or gadget
“I will say pausing because sometimes I tend to go too high speed, and then making a list.” –Perla on her best time-saving trick