Briana’s desire to become an architect goes way back into her childhood. Her father was a realtor, and he loved to look at different houses and to watch the construction process. Briana would go with her father to look at houses and watch them being built.
Later, when Briana started high school, she signed up for drafting classes at the suggestion of a neighbor who happened to be an engineer. Those classes gave Briana further insight into the world of architecture. But what finally confirmed for Briana that she was meant to go into architecture was a European tour that she took when she was 16. Getting the chance to view some of the famous and historic buildings in Europe was a defining moment that helped Briana realize that her future lay in the architecture world.
Briana started working immediately after graduating from college, and her first job was with an automotive firm. The first six months were difficult for Briana, but she stayed with the firm for another year after that before joining the firm that she’s currently with. She also started blogging during that time. Listen to the episode to hear Briana talk about her current firm, her blog, how she overcame imposter syndrome, and what she thought about the Young Architect Summer Series.
What You’ll Hear on This Episode
- What inspired Briana to pursue architecture
- Briana’s first job after architecture school
- What Briana learned from working at an automotive firm
- Briana’s next job
- The projects that Briana has worked on at her current firm
- The project that cured Briana of her imposter syndrome
- Briana’s blog
- Briana’s impression of the Young Architect Summer Series
- What Briana is excited about
- Briana’s advice for aspiring architects
- What Briana knows now that he didn’t know then
- The book that changed everything for Briana
- Briana’s favorite resource
- Briana’s best timesaving trick
- Where listeners can find Briana
Top 3 Takeaways from This Episode
- Understand your core goals.
- Don’t keep people in your life who drag you down.
- Don’t expect things to come easily.
Briana Fountain’s Advice for Aspiring Architects
“My first piece of advice is to understand your core values when you start your job search so that you land somewhere that you can grow in the way in which you want to grow.”
“That it’s not going to be easy.” –Briana Fountain on what she knows today that she didn’t know back then.
“This is a very non-traditional book. Dave Ramsey’s Guide to Personal Finance.” – Briana Fountain on the book that changed everything.
“It’s not technically a smartphone but what’s on the smartphone: social media.” –Briana Fountain on the resource she can’t live without.
“I have a series of to-do lists. I have a monthly to-do list, a weekly to-do list, and a daily to-do list.” –Briana Fountain on her best timesaving trick.
Resources Mentioned in the Show: