Today’s guest was a keynote speaker for the Young Architect Winter Series. When Juan goes back to the beginning, he remembers that in his childhood, he was into drawing and playing with Legos, like many future architects.
Juan says that architects get to build models and draw for a living, and that has a huge connection with his childhood. He still enjoys working with models to this day.
In today’s episode, Juan talks about his experience in architecture school and what it was like to move from Miami to Atlanta. He also talks about his ARE journey – from his disappointment after his first try at a test to how his studying was affected by the pandemic.
Juan also discusses his experiences with the ARE boot camp and the Young Architect Summer Series and goes on to explain how he came to be a keynote speaker for the Young Architect Winter Series. He also shares information about his furniture design business and store.
What You’ll Hear on This Episode:
- Why Juan got interested in architecture
- Whether Juan still plays with models
- What architecture school was like for Juan
- What happened for Juan after school was over
- Moving from Miami to Atlanta
- Juan’s experience in the boot camp
- How the pandemic affected Juan’s studying
- Juan’s experience at the Young Architect Summer Series
- Juan’s keynote speech for the Young Architect Winter Series
- Juan’s furniture design work
- Where listeners can see Juan’s work
- Juan’s advice for aspiring architects
- What Juan knows now that he didn’t know then
- The book that changed everything for Juan
- Juan’s favorite resource, product, or gadget
- Juan’s best timesaving trick
- How listeners can find Juan
Top Three Takeaways from This Episode:
- Break the rules.
- There’s more than one way to get to where you’re going.
- If you want to succeed, you need to stick with it.
Juan’s Advice for Aspiring Architects:
“It’s going to be one of the things that one of my professors told me way back. I don’t know if it was a good thing that he told me or a bad thing, but he told me that I broke the rules, and he liked it. I am going to tell aspiring architects to break the rules.”
“That failure is a great thing.” –Juan on what he knows today that he didn’t know back then
“Outliers was one of the books that changed my life. Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell.” –The book that changed everything for Juan
“I gotta say it’s my headphones.” –Juan on his favorite resource, product, or gadget
“The short answer is to put my goddamn phone down, that’s for sure.” –Juan on his best timesaving trick
Resources Mentioned on the Show: