When he was younger, Saadiah Angster thought that he wanted to be an astronaut. However, his sister felt that he was too creative to do well as an astronaut and that architecture would be a better fit for his personality and his talents. So, she pitched the idea and introduced Saadiah to some of what an architectural career would entail.
In today’s interview, Saadiah talks about his college experience and what happened for him after college, including his internships and why he bounced around from job to job for a while.
Saadiah also talks about the subject of burnout. He shares an experience that he had with a serious case of burnout and why he didn’t prioritize taking breaks at the time to avoid it. He discusses the importance of taking breaks when necessary to help avoid exhaustion and burnout.
Saadiah also discusses his impressions of the Young Architect Summer Series, his new podcast, and what he wants to do next. Listen in to learn more about Saadiah and his journey as an architect.
What You’ll Hear on This Episode
- What inspired Saadiah to pursue a career in architecture
- Where Saadiah completed architecture school
- What happened for Saadiah after architecture school
- The importance of taking breaks to avoid burnout
- What happened after Saadiah realized that he was burned out
- What Saadiah wants to do next
- Saadiah’s thoughts on the Young Architect Summer Series
- Saadiah’s new podcast
- Saadiah’s advice for aspiring architects
- What Saadiah knows now that he didn’t know then
- The book that changed everything for Saadiah
- Saadiah’s favorite gadget
- Saadiah’s best timesaving trick
- Where listeners can find Saadiah online
Top 3 Takeaways from This Episode
- Architecture is a bigger field than you think
- Taking breaks when needed can help avoid bigger interruptions due to burnout.
- Architecture is ultimately a business.
Saadiah Angster’s Advice for Aspiring Architects
“If you want to do it for the passion, don’t stop. If you want to do it for the money, find a way. And if you’re listening to this to find some more advice and insight, the best thing for you to do is start thinking for yourself and seeing where that takes you.”
“I definitely learned it’s definitely a business.” –Saadiah Angster on what he knows today that he didn’t know back then
“Harry Potter got me to start reading.” –Saadiah Angster on the book that changed everything
“It’s a little steel bottle opener, and I’ve used this thing for so many times. It’s like the best gadget ever.” –Saadiah Angster on his favorite resource, product, or gadget.”
“Time is of the essence, time always exists. Don’t ever think it doesn’t. It is always there.” –Saadiah Angster on his best timesaving trick.
Resources Mentioned in the Show: