Jared Smith is a returning guest to the Young Architect Podcast. He’s a licensed architect who has a wife, kids, and a new puppy. In today’s episode, Jared talks about what’s changed since his last visit to the show.
Jared believes that he’s matured, both as an architect and as a person, since his last appearance on the podcast. He’s been getting into real estate and development projects and has even considered investing in real estate development himself. He wants the chance to be involved not just in the design of the project, but also as a decision-maker and part of the development team.
In today’s episode, Jared tackles the subject of being an African-American in the architecture space. He talks about the lack of diversity in the industry, and whether that might be changing as new young architects join the field. He shares what it’s been like for him to be an African-American architect making his way in a majority-white industry.
Jared also discusses his forays into options trading. He talks about his own experiences and shares some advice for people who might be thinking about getting into the stock market. Listen in to hear more about Jared, his work and side projects, and his thoughts about the architecture industry.
What You’ll Hear on This Episode
- Jared’s background
- What’s happened since the last time Jared was on the podcast
- How Jared got into real estate and development projects
- How COVID-19 has affected the real estate market
- Whether Jared has considered investing in real estate with his own money
- How Jared makes connections in real estate development
- Jared’s perspective on the architecture industry as an African-American man
- How race issues are changing in the architecture industry
- What Jared has been doing over the last few months
- Jared’s experience with options trading
- Jared’s advice for people who want to understand the stock market
- Where Jared sees himself in five years
- How Jared’s work/life balance has been during the COVID-19 situation
- Jared’s advice for aspiring architects
- What Jared knows now that he didn’t know then
- The book that changed everything for Jared
- The resource Jared can’t live without
- Jared’s best time-saving trick
- Where listeners can find Jared
Top 3 Takeaways from This Episode
- Make connections with people outside of your own industry. You never know who is going to be a valuable connection.
- Learn from many different avenues.
- Get licensed as soon as possible
Jared Smith’s Advice for Aspiring Architects
“Be flexible in your youth, and make connections in positions that you admire.
“I guess it’s a cliché, but actions speak louder than words.” –Jared Smith on what he knows today that he didn’t know back then
“I would say How to Win Friends and Influence People.” – Jared Smith on the book that changed everything
“I think having reflection time and physically working out, as well as getting fresh air, I feel like that’s a necessity.” – Jared Smith on the resource he can’t live without
“I feel like one of the timesaving tricks people should think about is, “is this important, do I need to respond now? Or, can this wait or even will it resolve itself if I don’t respond at all.?”” – Jared Smith on his best time-saving trick
Resources Mentioned in the Show: