Ashley Bell Davis remembers playing with Legos while she was growing up, and that’s one of the things that put her on the path to becoming an architect. However, building toys weren’t the only influence on her career path.
Ashley’s father also has an architecture degree. Ashley explains that he worked as an electrical engineer, not as an architect, but that degree provided Ashley with inspiration anyway. And she believes that her mother, who was able to achieve success in a male-dominated field, was also an important source of inspiration.
Ashley attended an architecture camp while she was in high school, and that experience confirmed two things for her: she did want to become an architect, and she didn’t want to attend the school that ran the camp she attended. Instead, she attended the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. She credits their unique program, which combined architecture with interior design in the first year of studio, with giving her a well-rounded view of architecture.
In today’s episode, Ashley talks about what her architecture school experience was like and what she did following architecture school. She also shares what her exam experience was like, what held her back, and how the boot camp helped. Listen in to hear what Ashley has to say about sticking to her goals and following her path.
What You’ll Hear on This Episode
- Ashley’s background
- How Ashley decided to become an architect
- Where Ashley attended architecture school
- Ashley’s summer internships
- What life was like following architecture school
- How Ashley’s early exam experience went
- Accommodations for medical issues
- What it’s like to be a mother doing architecture exams
- Preparing for exam days
- Handling test fatigue
- Ashley’s advice for aspiring architects
- What Ashley knows now that she didn’t know then
- The book that changed everything for Ashley
- The resource that Ashley can’t live without
- Ashley’s best timesaving trick
- How listeners can find Ashley
Top 3 Takeaways from This Episode
- Examine your goals and why you chose them.
- Do everything in your power to stick with and achieve your goals.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for the necessary accommodations.
Ashley Bell Davis’s Advice for Aspiring Architects
“I would say really look at your goals. If your goal is to become an architect, why do you want that goal? And to do everything in your power to reach that goal.”
“You really have to be dedicated and be selfish about studying for the exam and make that a priority.” –Ashley Bell Davis on what she knows today that she didn’t know back then
“I guess I have the cliché answer of The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand.” –Ashley Bell Davis on the book that changed everything
“So mine is my planner.” –Ashley Bell Davis on the resource she can’t live without
“So it goes back to the planner. To plan everything out.” –Ashley Bell Davis on her best timesaving trick