Farah Ahmad believes that her path to becoming an architect was paved by influences from her family, specifically her father. Farah’s father is an engineer and construction project manager, and when she was a child, he took her to job sites, which gave her the first taste of the building industry.
Farah also remembers when her family had a house built in Pennsylvania. Each time she visited the site of the house while it was under construction, she saw a new phase of the building process. She recalls being fascinated by the physical transformation of the space.
In today’s interview, Farah shares information about the program that she was part of in high school where she was paired with an architect mentor and learned more about the profession. She also talks about how she discovered her passion for sustainability in college and how she pursued that passion.
Farah discusses her jobs following college and how the thread of sustainability ran through all of them. She talks about her licensing journey and about her social media presence and why it’s important to her. Listen in to learn more about Farah, her work, and her advice for young architects.
What You’ll Hear on This Episode
- What inspired Farah to pursue a career in architecture
- How Farah’s college experience helped her realize her passion for sustainability
- The solar decathlon
- Farah’s public sector internship after college
- Farah’s first job after her internship
- How Farah built up her confidence and soft skills
- Why Farah maintains connections to architecture students
- Farah’s licensing journey
- How licensing has changed Farah’s life
- Farah’s Instagram account
- Farah’s advice for aspiring architects
- What Farah knows now that she didn’t know then
- The book that changed everything for Farah
- The resource Farah can’t live without
- Farah’s best time-saving trick
- Where listeners can find Farah
Top 3 Takeaways from This Episode
- Trust that things will work out the way they’re supposed to.
- Don’t feel like you have to take the traditional route.
- Ask lots of questions and don’t worry about looking stupid.
Farah Ahmad’s Advice for Aspiring Architects
“You don’t necessarily have to go the traditional route. If you decide to go into design that’s great; my advice would be to learn the building code first, that should be your foundation, but if you don’t go the traditional route, there’s so much within the field that you can do.”
“Everything works out the way that it’s meant to.” –Farah Ahmad on what she knows today that she didn’t know back then
“I’d say Explosion Green: One Man's Journey to Green the World's Largest Industry.” – Farah Ahmad on the book that changed everything
“I would actually say my social media platforms.” – Farah Ahmad on the resource she can’t live without
“I would say my best time-saving trick is to take my time on a bunch of different tasks instead of focusing on one specific task.” – Farah Ahmad on her best time-saving trick