Abby Benjamin grew up surrounded by and coloring on large-scale drawings. Her father was a New Jersey land surveyor, and he would plot full 24×36 drawings in AutoCAD and let Abby and her brother color on them. It’s one of her earliest memories.
Abby grew up surrounded by construction, architecture, and engineering, so it’s perhaps not surprising that she attended a high school geared toward math, science, and engineering. She also worked for her father at the time. Abby knew that she either wanted to become an architect or a civil engineer, and she recalls that the night before she was to send off her college applications, she was closely considering which she wanted to choose. She chose architecture and never looked back.
In today’s episode, Abby talks about her schooling, what happened after graduation, and how long she’s held her current job. She also talks about how she ended up becoming a licensing advisor and what her own licensing process was like.
Abby will be a keynote speaker at the Young Architect Summer Series. In today’s episode, she’ll share a little bit about what she’ll be talking about and discuss her previous experiences with the Young Architect Conference Series.
What You’ll Hear on This Episode:
- What inspired Abby to pursue a career in architecture
- What architecture school was like for Abby
- What happened after Abby graduated
- How long Abby has had her current job
- What getting to the licensing exams looked like for Abby
- Abby’s experiences with PPD and PDD
- Advice that Abby would give to someone starting their architect exams
- What happened for Abby after she got the license
- Abby’s work as a licensing advisor
- Abby’s and her husband’s experience with the Young Architect Conference
- What Abby will be talking about as a keynote speaker
- How things have changed since Abby had her first child
- Abby’s advice for aspiring architects
- What Abby knows now that she didn’t know then
- The book that changed everything for Abby
- Abby’s favorite resource, product, or gadget
- Abby’s best timesaving trick
- How listeners can find Abby
Top Three Takeaways from This Episode:
- Own your career path and your journey.
- You don’t have to get licensed to be successful.
- It’s OK to fail.
Abby’s Advice for Aspiring Architects:
“I think that everybody needs to grab their career by the reins and take ownership. Know your career path, know your goals, and find a place that supports you – a job, a career, a boss, because without that you’re not going to be happy.”
“That it’s OK to fail.” – What Abby knows now that she didn’t know then.
“I read The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck, and it’s exactly what it says it is.” –The book that changed everything for Abby
“It’s gotta be my calendar.” –Abby on her favorite resource, product, or gadget
“It was a matter of navigating where was I just wasting time?” –Abby on her best time-saving trick